Mike's Space


Further adventures of AM-Sound

Did the sound at Bath Place again on Saturday. This time Al couldn't do it so I somehow managed to persuade Chris and Alex to have a late night and help lift heavy things around!

I decided to give the B-rig an outing to see how it would cope. The main advantage is that I can fit everything into two estate cars (rather than six car-loads for the full Martin Audio A-rig!) and I reckon it was pretty much spot-on for the size of venue. However, I was again struggling to get enough clarity for the vocals to cut through the mix for a couple of the bands, but if they do insist on playing at over 105 dBC @FOH - that's before I've put anything through the PA system - I'm always going to be fighting a losing battle - especially in such a reverberant venue as Bath Place.

It's frustrating transporting and setting up all that gear, mic-ing everything up as that's what's expected, when you end up only having the kick drum, bass guitar and vocal faders up because everything else is just so loud. Along with guitar amps, my new pet-hate is cymbals - it seems that lots of drummers don't realise that they kill the band's sound (and the punters' ears) by laying into their cymbals so hard - it just creates a horrible high-frequency mush of noise. It was so refreshing when I came to sound-check one of the support acts on Saturday and I asked the drummer if he was also loud. He told me that he uses brushes - I could have hugged him!

0 Responses to “Further adventures of AM-Sound”

Post a Comment



© 2006 Mike's Space | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.